Friday, January 28, 2005

Those thousands who touched that branded shirt you bought

There are those who cannot live a day without buying that cute Gucci bag or that FCUK coat. Also, there are those who will wilt if they do not have a car.

I have learned something important in Sociology class last night. Now, I feel lucky to have grown up in a peaceful and prosperous country. There is no war. The economy is still surviving. I can afford to strut my stuff in the latest fashion designs. I can afford good and tasty food. I can sit in a car, or even drive one. I was taught to appreciate these things and compare myself to the poor people who don't even get enough food in one day. Still, I took many things for granted along the way. And, I am sure all of us had to some point in our lives. Perhaps, it is just human nature, and the fact that consumerism has become part of our daily lives. Well, is it not true that we constantly need new stuff? Getting that new cellphone, that new bag, new car, new house...everything. The case is not so lucky for Russia. Or Nigeria. Or even China.

We watched a documentary in class last night. It showed us the whole process of manufacturing formal coats. I did not know that the wool from sheeps in Australia travelled to so many places in the world before reaching retail outlets. Tags on our clothes such as "Made in Russia" or "Made in China" ought to be appreciated because not many stop to think of the thousands who helped pieced them together for us. When they interviewed some of the workers, I felt sorry for these people who have to work so hard to receive only a minimum wage by the end of the day, just enough for sufficient food to survive. There was this lady worker in China who can only visit her family once a year. She came to the city to work in the factory when her husband fell very ill. They had little money thus she had no choice but to find a job in the city. She said her eldest child was so happy to see her when she returned home, but the little one does not remember her at all.

Poverty is still a very big issue all over. In Russia, the economy is controlled by the mafias. It is difficult to prosper because of that reason. I know I cannot feel the real pain and sufferings of these workers in Russia, but when they interviewed the women who work in the textile factory, I realized that I should appreciate what I have now even more. These women are underpaid. In reality, they are being exploited for their expertise. However, they said that they are contented with what they have. At least, now, they have a job, and their lives now were better than before. During the communist days, it was worse. They had nothing at all. Now, some can afford to buy a television and other appliances because they saved enough during communism in Russia. But they can only watch about the Western items that they cannot afford to buy (for example, toothpaste).

Well, the next time you buy that branded item you see, remember the effort of the thousands who made it for you. At least, it did remind me to appreciate my parents' hardwork to provide me with that comfort, money and food.

about me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Home: KL, Malaysia
School: U of A

I am someone who frets a lot - I call it a psychological disorder. I am constantly trying to escape my complex mind which, very often, drives me and my close companions to the edge of insanity. Born under the sun star Libra, I am greatly affected by a disease called "indecisiveness". Nicknames were never part of my dictionary until I met some people who decided to name me "turtle". Soon, I was representing a zoo of hamsters, "sotongs", pigs, cats, etc...

chat

previous

  • High Frequency of Homework
  • Good morning, miss....!
  • Genie
  • How are you today?
  • My voice got lost in a paper cup...
  • Back to school (Winter 2005)
  • I'm hungry again
  • Cold cold cold!
  • Happy New Year!
  • all in a week
  • archives

  • October 2003

  • November 2003

  • December 2003

  • January 2004

  • February 2004

  • March 2004

  • April 2004

  • May 2004

  • June 2004

  • July 2004

  • August 2004

  • September 2004

  • October 2004

  • November 2004

  • December 2004

  • January 2005

  • February 2005

  • March 2005

  • April 2005

  • May 2005

  • June 2005

  • July 2005

  • August 2005

  • September 2005

  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • personal

    Dedications
    My Fotopage



    Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
    Project Petaling Street Photobucket eXTReMe Tracker

    Nice Photoblogs

    [ lifethrumylens.com ]

    I read

    [ ::mum-mum::eat-eat:: ]
    [ Patricia ]
    [ Elizabeth ]
    [ Liz ]
    [ Li Shun ]
    [ Markuz ]
    [ Michelle ]
    [ Dr.Liew ]
    [ Simplymel ]
    [ Jacey ]
    [ Viewtru ]
    [ Afi ]
    [ KweiLi ]
    [ Brand New Malaysian ]
    [ MrKiasu ]
    [ LeoKoo ]
    [ AMS'Blog ]
    [ Stephanie ]
    [ Shadow ]
    [ Chiak Lung ]
    [ Maverick ]
    [ Lyn-theQ ]
    [ Thomas ]
    [ Lynette ]
    [ Gareth ]

    design

    title : w4rnawarni: (pink) bikini girl (Adfree) by w4rnawarni @ blogskins

    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com