Friday, June 03, 2005

Melbourne 2005

I am back! ^^

My one-week holiday in Melbourne, Australia, was splendid! I would love to go there again, or perhaps, consider taking graduate studies at Melbourne University. That all depends, of course. Well, I guess I will start blogging about my trip, and I should probably start from the moment we stepped into KLIA ...

We took the night flight. If my mum had told my dad the exact departure time, we would have missed the flight to Melbourne. You see, my dad sold the car to my cousin, Desmond. That evening, dad decided to take the car to him after which, Desmond can test-drive the car as he sends us to the airport. Five minutes after we entered KLIA, my dad realized that he left his camera and video-cam bag in the car. Desmond managed to make a turn back to return it. We got the bag, proceeded to the check-in counter and queued. However, as we got to the end of the line, my mum realized that there was one luggage missing ...

Naturally, my cousin had to turn back to pick my mum up and send her home to get the luggage. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 9.15 p.m. but without mum's "white lie" (she told us that it was departing at 8.30 p.m.), we would have missed the flight. Interesting scene, eh? It was scary because my dad was angry and he blamed us for not getting everything ready properly. Oh well :P

We arrived at Melbourne airport at 6.45 a.m.. By the time we got the rented car out on the road, it was already 7.30 a.m.. Our plan was to head straight to Warnambool, Victoria. Since we were quite hungry and dad was tired of driving, we stopped by at the next big city - Geelong, Victoria. There, we ate breakfast and spent about an hour at the National Wool Museum.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-National Wool Museum, Geelong-

It was a great experience. We learnt lots from this visit to the wool musuem; from the type of sheeps to the machinery used to make woolen clothes, carpets and socks. A friendly guide explained to us how the wool industry came about, and how some of the machines work. At the end of the brief tour, my sister and I each got a sample of stockings from him :)

Without further delay, we continued or journey to Warnambool. Guiding dad with the map is not an easy task but without our help, dad would not have been able to drive around. Fortunately, they have very organized road systems (unlike Malaysia *ahem*). I considered it a big bonus in this trip! ^^

First, we went to the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum in Warnambool. We were a little late to tour the village but we bought tickets to see the sound & laser show at night. After that, we went to the whale watching bay. No whales were in sight but the scenery was breathtaking. To my surprise, the sea was very rough and the wind was strong. It was chilly!

I must say, the sound & laser show was not very fantastic. It was just some true story about a shipwreck. The laser show was ... I would grade it 3 out of 10. They can do better than that :P

The next morning, we went back to the Flagstaff Hill Village. Every scenic place in Australia is beautiful. It is definitely a perfect get-away for nature-loving tourists!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We continued our journey along the Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay. It was quite a boring drive for my dad but we did see a lot of farms, cows, horses and sheeps! Very beautiful indeed. At Apollo Bay, we stopped by the Bay of Islands. Then, we went to see the 12 Apostles. We could only see five distinct ones but we were informed that the others were somewhat hidden. Still, it was a great view.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-The 12 Apostles-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Bay of Islands-

We also went to see a majestic lighthouse.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-The Lighthouse-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We spent a night at Apollo Bay and drove up to Melbourne city the next day. We were at the city for about four days. There was shopping, visits to my aunt margaret's place, and a half-day of golf for my dad (very important to him, you see) ...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Spencer Station, Melbourne City-

It is interesting to know that, besides buses and taxis, public transport in Melbourne city does not run on underground rapid trains. Instead, they use trams. And these trams can take you pretty far into the suburbs! I do envy the public transportation systems in Australia. Very organized, well-planned, and convenient. I would say far better than my place in Canada.

Also, they are very strict about drinking and driving. There was a random test on the freeway and our car got pulled over. It was my dad's first time using the breathalizer, haha! You cannot drive even if you had a sip of alcohol. Not even a sip.

We did take a tram to Melbourne Zoo. It has been more than 8 years since I last went to the zoo. I was very excited to see the animals. I wanted to see the kangaroos so badly, haha! However, the kangaroos at the zoo were lazy asses. They just sat and lazed around, and stared at the people who came to visit them. I guess they are changed by the nature of their habitat. At the zoo, you get fed! So why move around and hunt for food? Bunch of lazy roos!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-The Emu, Melbourne Zoo-

We were suppoze to go to Ballarat to see the gold mines, but dad decided that it was not worth the trip. Instead, we went to the Yarra Ranges where the vineyards and winery cottages are. It was ... beautiful. I bet it would be even prettier in the summer when the grapevines are in growth!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-At the carpark. Domaine Chandon, Yarra Valley-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Domaine Chandon, Yarra Valley-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-The lake-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-The vines, Domaine Chandon Vineyard-

We also went to the Heathesville Animal Sanctuary. Unfortunately, my camera was out of battery, and so I do not have any pictures from this lovely place. We paid a little more than the entrance fee to the zoo but it was definitely worth it. I touched a koala bear! And the kangaroos there were so close to us! Maybe just 10-20 feet away from us!! It was fun. I was happy to be in close contact with these animals, especially the kangaroos!

On our last day in Melbourne, we woke up early to check out of the hotel. We decided to stop by the Royal Botanical Gardens before heading to the airport. Again, it was beautiful :P What more can I say?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Mum & Dad. Queen Victoria's Park-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Royal Botanical Gardens-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-Royal Botanical Gardens-

That's it! Now, I that I am back home with nothing much to do ... I need to look for a part-time job!!! T_T

about me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Home: KL, Malaysia
School: U of A

I am someone who frets a lot - I call it a psychological disorder. I am constantly trying to escape my complex mind which, very often, drives me and my close companions to the edge of insanity. Born under the sun star Libra, I am greatly affected by a disease called "indecisiveness". Nicknames were never part of my dictionary until I met some people who decided to name me "turtle". Soon, I was representing a zoo of hamsters, "sotongs", pigs, cats, etc...

chat

previous

  • Bad Charlotte
  • The Dogs of Babel
  • My Memory Box
  • My model idol
  • Stepping out of the dark
  • The Story
  • A broken heart
  • It's a blue, blue sky
  • We Malaysians are Selfish
  • The end of another academic year
  • archives

  • October 2003

  • November 2003

  • December 2003

  • January 2004

  • February 2004

  • March 2004

  • April 2004

  • May 2004

  • June 2004

  • July 2004

  • August 2004

  • September 2004

  • October 2004

  • November 2004

  • December 2004

  • January 2005

  • February 2005

  • March 2005

  • April 2005

  • May 2005

  • June 2005

  • July 2005

  • August 2005

  • September 2005

  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • personal

    Dedications
    My Fotopage



    Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
    Project Petaling Street Photobucket eXTReMe Tracker

    Nice Photoblogs

    [ lifethrumylens.com ]

    I read

    [ ::mum-mum::eat-eat:: ]
    [ Patricia ]
    [ Elizabeth ]
    [ Liz ]
    [ Li Shun ]
    [ Markuz ]
    [ Michelle ]
    [ Dr.Liew ]
    [ Simplymel ]
    [ Jacey ]
    [ Viewtru ]
    [ Afi ]
    [ KweiLi ]
    [ Brand New Malaysian ]
    [ MrKiasu ]
    [ LeoKoo ]
    [ AMS'Blog ]
    [ Stephanie ]
    [ Shadow ]
    [ Chiak Lung ]
    [ Maverick ]
    [ Lyn-theQ ]
    [ Thomas ]
    [ Lynette ]
    [ Gareth ]

    design

    title : w4rnawarni: (pink) bikini girl (Adfree) by w4rnawarni @ blogskins

    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com