Monday, July 26, 2004

Not yours to say, it is mine

Last night, we had dinner with my uncle and aunt at my house. They have not seen me since I left for Canada two years ago, and so it was sort of a pleasant meeting for them. Naturally, as we exchanged hugs and handshakes, they marvelled at the new look of the house and proceeded to admire the rooms and bathrooms as well. My uncle settled at my room and gestured me to sit beside him for a little chat, just to ask how was life back there in Canada. Just as I had expected, he would literally reason and talk the whole time, leaving me with only barely five words to say. And I never like people who talk like that. It is not an issue with old age. It is his own...tyrant-self. He talks with authority, making a strong presence of his wisdom and sensibility. But within ourselves, he simply reasons and talks for the sake of it. I was not angry or frustrated. I was just annoyed by one comment that he made.

The opportunity to study overseas do not come so easily for many. Thus, everyone views it as a good thing and students/graduates there are expected to adapt and live the western ways and cultures. My uncle had two children, a boy and a girl, who went to the states for their tertiary education. They both had their experiences - they liked the lifestyle there. It was suitable for them, they mixed around very well with the whites. His daughter, especially, married an American and has spent most of her live there in America. So, his so-called advice...was to make me follow his children's footsteps.  What is all the big hoo-ha about studying overseas?? In my opinion, I do NOT force myself to do something that I am not comfortable with. It is not that I am isolating myself from white friends. I do meet people in my faculty but I do not hang out with them like how I hang out with my closer friends. Istthat considered as the "wrong thing to do"? Certainly not, uncle. I am telling you, with quite an amount of fury, that every individual has its own decisions. Not everyone likes to live there. Not everyone likes the culture and can be suited well to it. Of course, it is the best time to learn other people's culture and gain a different experience. But not to the extend that I have to force myself to mix with people who look down on my own kind! To me, it is a shame to try and follow them, to be in their crowd, when they do not even respect who I am.

So, I stupidly sat there listening to my uncle's "wise advice". Thank goodness, it only lasted for a few minutes. Then, we all went to the dinner table to have mum's delicious dishes. What a relief.

I saw yesterday's StarMag section and read with much interest on a particular dillemma problem. A guy was not satisfied with his naive wife who is 10 years younger than him. Gosh. I hope I am not that kind of woman who gives my boyfriend troubles like that. In some ways, I guess he is asking for too much too. Oh well, in the first place, why marry her then? But then again, in this life, sometimes you only find out what you want after marriage. Never a bed of roses.

about me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Home: KL, Malaysia
School: U of A

I am someone who frets a lot - I call it a psychological disorder. I am constantly trying to escape my complex mind which, very often, drives me and my close companions to the edge of insanity. Born under the sun star Libra, I am greatly affected by a disease called "indecisiveness". Nicknames were never part of my dictionary until I met some people who decided to name me "turtle". Soon, I was representing a zoo of hamsters, "sotongs", pigs, cats, etc...

chat

previous

  • Dreamy day
  • Weird encounters...
  • Ever heard of Sugarladies?
  • World gone dead
  • Trust
  • Rain
  • Jakun reunion
  • I'm back!
  • Stop those skates!
  • When you meet a "retard", "act" like one too
  • archives

  • October 2003

  • November 2003

  • December 2003

  • January 2004

  • February 2004

  • March 2004

  • April 2004

  • May 2004

  • June 2004

  • July 2004

  • August 2004

  • September 2004

  • October 2004

  • November 2004

  • December 2004

  • January 2005

  • February 2005

  • March 2005

  • April 2005

  • May 2005

  • June 2005

  • July 2005

  • August 2005

  • September 2005

  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • personal

    Dedications
    My Fotopage



    Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
    Project Petaling Street Photobucket eXTReMe Tracker

    Nice Photoblogs

    [ lifethrumylens.com ]

    I read

    [ ::mum-mum::eat-eat:: ]
    [ Patricia ]
    [ Elizabeth ]
    [ Liz ]
    [ Li Shun ]
    [ Markuz ]
    [ Michelle ]
    [ Dr.Liew ]
    [ Simplymel ]
    [ Jacey ]
    [ Viewtru ]
    [ Afi ]
    [ KweiLi ]
    [ Brand New Malaysian ]
    [ MrKiasu ]
    [ LeoKoo ]
    [ AMS'Blog ]
    [ Stephanie ]
    [ Shadow ]
    [ Chiak Lung ]
    [ Maverick ]
    [ Lyn-theQ ]
    [ Thomas ]
    [ Lynette ]
    [ Gareth ]

    design

    title : w4rnawarni: (pink) bikini girl (Adfree) by w4rnawarni @ blogskins

    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com