Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Now for my next feed!

I just finished the book, Life of Pi.

Yes, it was a good read. At first, the beginning was somewhat dull. The journey got interesting as he spoke of his survival days out in the sea with Richard Parker (the Bengal tiger). I liked the part where he found the island. I could feel his joy at the discovery of the island. After 100 over days of living above the surface of the sea, eating only fish and relying on turtle's blood to quench his thirst, with the scorching sun burning his skin during the day, and torrentious rain freezing him to the floorboat every night...being able to find land and shelter from the trees was like heaven to the soul.

Everything was interesting with the company of the Royal Bengal tiger.

But the island was carnivorous. Although it was lush with green trees, fresh-water ponds, abundant green algae for food and thousands of meerkats, the island was deadly during the night, where the algae surrounding the island, the forest and the ponds, produced high levels of acid, which burned every living thing that touched the ground. It was interesting. No wonder the tiger headed back to the lifeboat every evening before darkness came. No wonder the meerkats slept on the trees at night. No wonder the ecology was weird - there were no ants, not even butterflies or any kind of insect. No wonder the dead salt-water fishes that got trapped in the fresh-water ponds disappeared in the morning without a trace because the acid dissolved every single flesh and bone.

I am proud to say I have accomplished a difficult task. Before, I could never sit still to finish up a book. Probably, school and work was the main factor I did not bother to commit. Now that I can have a whole four-month holiday (which is going to end pretty soon...) each year, I am surprisingly glued to books. I was never this close to reading before. This holiday I have finished three good books. It is an accomplishment for me.

My sweetheart is arriving today! I cannot wait to be wrapped around his arms again ^^ Such a warm and secure feeling I will miss when I am back in cold Canada. Come to think of it, winter has never been merciless. Sigh. Another three years and I am out of there.

Many of my friends questioned my decision to go home after getting a degree. I do not feel the need to stay. After all, I am not planning to do a master's in my course. It is going to cost another bomb of $$$ and I would have to spend another 2-3 years there at most. Mum said I should go the states to work. I do not think she understands how I want my life to walk.

Not that I hate studying, but I just do not want to study anymore. Finding a job is a neccesity and I do not need a paper that prints "Master honours graduate" to get a decent job.

Maybe, I feel that I have seen much of the world already. I have travelled to the magnificent states, I have been to old England, I have stepped foot on historical China, I have been Down Under, I have crossed the oceans to study in Canada...nothing I feel deprived off.

I know myself better than anyone else. The life in the west is not suited for me. Every individual has its own tastes. No one has the right to question my choices - just because they think that living with the western culture is more distinguished and respected, and going back home is like going back to live in the dumpster. Bullshit.

I only wish for a happy future in my terms. A good study experience in Canada. A job probably to earn some income for myself. A loving husband whom will grow old with me. Beautiful children to complement my family. A house to live in. A secured living. Good health. And a peaceful country that will never allow my children to suffer the perils of war.

But there are ignorant, annoying people who do not understand the meaning of individual decisions. I had a friend once who literally argued with me in the subway train about my decisions. She claims that the opportunity to come all the way to Canada is rare and that we should stay on and settle down here. Plus, the income you get from jobs there is big money. She mocked my decision to return home after my degree. It was a humiliating sight. Not for me...but for her. I actually pitied her because everyone on the subway train was looking at her. Hah. Why can people not shut the fuck up and stop nosing into people's lives. I do hear out her opinions. But I never criticized others about their personal life matters. @3#$*#!

about me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Home: KL, Malaysia
School: U of A

I am someone who frets a lot - I call it a psychological disorder. I am constantly trying to escape my complex mind which, very often, drives me and my close companions to the edge of insanity. Born under the sun star Libra, I am greatly affected by a disease called "indecisiveness". Nicknames were never part of my dictionary until I met some people who decided to name me "turtle". Soon, I was representing a zoo of hamsters, "sotongs", pigs, cats, etc...

chat

previous

  • Luncheon for 30 last Sunday
  • Dumb movie reviews
  • Headaches Kill
  • Sex in cars
  • My cute little garden
  • Flying Passion
  • Disturbing thoughts
  • Swimming without rules
  • A present for my one-year-old dooddle ^o^ (edited)
  • Family Outing
  • archives

  • October 2003

  • November 2003

  • December 2003

  • January 2004

  • February 2004

  • March 2004

  • April 2004

  • May 2004

  • June 2004

  • July 2004

  • August 2004

  • September 2004

  • October 2004

  • November 2004

  • December 2004

  • January 2005

  • February 2005

  • March 2005

  • April 2005

  • May 2005

  • June 2005

  • July 2005

  • August 2005

  • September 2005

  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • personal

    Dedications
    My Fotopage



    Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
    Project Petaling Street Photobucket eXTReMe Tracker

    Nice Photoblogs

    [ lifethrumylens.com ]

    I read

    [ ::mum-mum::eat-eat:: ]
    [ Patricia ]
    [ Elizabeth ]
    [ Liz ]
    [ Li Shun ]
    [ Markuz ]
    [ Michelle ]
    [ Dr.Liew ]
    [ Simplymel ]
    [ Jacey ]
    [ Viewtru ]
    [ Afi ]
    [ KweiLi ]
    [ Brand New Malaysian ]
    [ MrKiasu ]
    [ LeoKoo ]
    [ AMS'Blog ]
    [ Stephanie ]
    [ Shadow ]
    [ Chiak Lung ]
    [ Maverick ]
    [ Lyn-theQ ]
    [ Thomas ]
    [ Lynette ]
    [ Gareth ]

    design

    title : w4rnawarni: (pink) bikini girl (Adfree) by w4rnawarni @ blogskins

    Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com